The Royal Wedding gave me a great excuse to bake some wedding cookies and use my new wedding themed cookie cutters. I am still very new to cookie decorating and this is my first proper attempt at trying something with a bit of detail. I was pleased with the results. The hard part was keeping my arm steady as it seemed to have a mind of it's own as soon as I held the piping bag! I did have a couple of practice goes which gave me an opportunity to learn control of the crazy arm! Here are the results:
The cookie recipe I use was given to me by my friend Jen which I requested after tasting her amazing cookies she made me for my birthday!
You will need:
140g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
- mix the butter and sugar together until combined
- mix in the egg yolk until combined
- sift over the flour and mix until combined (I like using my hands for this bit)
- refrigerate for about 2 hours (I like leaving it in the fridge over night as it is easier to work with)
- pre heat the oven to 180°C (fan)
- role out cookie dough to about 4mm thick and cook for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. This will depend on how think or large your cookies are so check on them and remove them from the oven to cool once the edges are strating to go golden brown.
- place the cookies on a wire rack and cool completely before icing
My favourite royal icing recipe I use to decorate cookies can be found on sweetopia's website which has some amazing cookie ideas and cookie decorating tutorials.